#8PgChallenge – STEP 6 – Thumbnails

8-Page Challenge Forums Creator Challenge – 8-Page Challenge for NYCC 2020 #8PgChallenge – STEP 6 – Thumbnails

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Hello creators! This is the folder where you can share your thumbnails. You are posting them here for feedback and input from the community.

Please read this post first…

How to Create Thumbnails for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 6
      https://www.comicbookschool.com/how-to-create-thumbnails-comic/
      Thanks. And keep up the great work!

philipspace
      Participant

My page breakdowns thus far, such as they are. Ordinarily I draw up my roughs on copy-paper and enlarge it at the local copy center, but their machines are on the fritz so I’m adjusting my process. Questions and comments are welcome.

I included my initial 8-page breakdown that I used to pace out the events for my story. I don’t normally handle my own writing but I thought I’d include it because I felt it was a handy way to pace out the events in simple, 4-frame formats.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi! Here are my (really) rough thumbnails. Small-scale and just the bare minimum to let myself know what’s going on on the page. I figure we’ll have time to make it pretty in the next stages. Normally my process for thumbnails does include little markers for where to put the speech bubbles (With the thumbnails on the left-hand side of the pages and the text on the right) but I took that away as per the instructions.

philipspace
      Participant

It occurs to me looking at my own thumbnails that my self-critique is to tilt my camera angles more. I’ve got a lot of frames where my composition is basically parallel with my panel frames, which is a quick way to suck any sense of dynamism from the layout.

@jarrodelvin
      your thumbnails are really readable! I dig your style. Understanding that these are roughs, are you going to incorporate more perspective in your panel compositions/character placement for the final product, or is this pretty close to what you are intending?

Evan Scale
      Participant

Here are the thumbnails I did for ‘Camriddeon and the Leighman Lurkers’ story by @jholder12

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

@philipspace Your thumbnails look amazing! I think they are very dynamic! Clear to read and nice detail.
      You bring up an excellent point, one I have actually never considered before to be honest, so thank you for the tip! -It will help me to make all my comics better in the future.
      Originally these were how I intended them to look, but now I will do some work on giving the perspective more variety. (It will be in a fairly cartoony style, but that’s no reason not to try a bit harder in that regard)
      I guess one reason I had it so parallel was because I have seven main characters and I wanted to give them all equal prominence in the panels.

@evanscale
      Your thumbnails are fantastic! Also very clean and clear to read, great sense of dynamism and detail!

Both of you make me wish I had put more time and effort into my thumbnails! Well, I’ll make sure to do that in the next stages!

Keep up the great work! I look forward to seeing the next stages from you!

philipspace
      Participant

@jarrodelvin and @evanscale I am excited to see both of your story’s progression. I look forward to continuing this project along-side everybody here.

Keep at it!

David Shear
      Participant

Here are my thumbnails. I didn’t want to harp too much on details so I worked extra small.

David Shear
      Participant
      Kris Burgos
      Participant

I was wondering when this thread would get started! Here’s the first round from No Shelter… the order is a little funky, so look out for that, the pages are 1,2,3,7,4,5,6,8. Sorry.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Kris Burgos.
      Evan Scale
      Participant

@philipspace Really like your thumbnails! The characters are easy to recognize and the camera angles look great as well.

@jarrodelvin
      Great work. I don’t think the thumbnails should be particularly pretty. Rough is good enough and the hairstyles help distinguish the characters.

@wolfshearart
      Nice work! I really like your choice of a big introduction panel on page 1.

@krisburgos
      Great work! I like how the black fills help make the scene clear and easily readable.

Looking forward to seeing your pencils guys!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Evan Scale.
      • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Evan Scale.
      philipspace
      Participant

@krisburgos The tentacle monster (?) was not quite what I was expecting from your initial description. Do the monsters attacking the village come in different varieties? Is it more of a collection of nightmares? I know mystery is a big part of this story, but I figured I would ask.
      Blocking out the blacks definitely helps establish the mood for this. I feel like the action on page 2 should be cut down to fewer frames with varying camera angles, giving your artist the ability to show different aspects of the scene without a big reveal. At the very least I would recommend establishing the door on the last panel of 2 that gets opened at the beginning of page 3, even if it’s just the POV characters hand on the door-handle.

Kris Burgos
        Participant

@philipspace Sorry about any confusion, yes, there are different monsters throughout the story. It’s a battle between various monsters and the humans are just caught in the middle. JP banged out various creature designs and certain monsters got replaced in different sections of the story because I just fell in love them and made some script adjustments not announced to the group. We’re currently working on the blacks, filling in negative space and all, and it is difficult, not gonna lie, there’s a slight language barrier that we’re both working around, but his work will easily be clearer in the next phase. And I’m totally digging what I’ve been seeing. As for the 2nd page panels, I’ll definitely talk to him about adding a really tight closeup of Gunnar’s hand pushing a door open. Thanks for the feedback!

K S
      Participant

This is my first time doing thumbnails. I found it very helpful to look at how everyone else was doing these. thanks! Note, for some of the panels I ended up doing more work because I was having trouble visualizing how the rest of the page should be, and doing more work on the elements in a particular panel helped me work through the tone of the page.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by K S.

Here are some thumbnails for LAVATASHA by @philipspace

Matthew Timpanelli
      Participant

So I have been moving a bit faster than this process. Mainly because my artist went straight to layout from the script. I had some help from @philipspace to reel it into the process but overall the artist went into his own comfort zone. And as much as I tried to mold him to what we are doing here I was happy with his results and didn’t want to stifle him.

Philip was super helpful by wearing two hats early on in the process. He gave me valuable feedback on the script and also drew some great thumbs as well as advice on how to lay out the story using some visual tricks.

Here are his (Philip’s) thumbs. Page 1 had already been finalized which Philip and I both approved of. Sam (The artist) and I went back and forth editing the final design a few times to get it right.

***Im having trouble linking to images using the “img” button so I’m breaking up my post to see if that works.

Matthew Timpanelli
      Participant

I marked up philip’s thumbs and feedback with comments and sent it over to Sam who took this inspiration and direction and fed me thumbnails page by page.

I also gave Sam a panel I felt was an important visual so he knew what I was talking about visually in the first image here.

My inspiration for page 2 opening

And then his thumbs initial and then more refined.

philipspace
      Participant

Looking great @Matthew Timpanelli
      I think Sam has great storytelling instincts, and I really look forward to seeing his finished product.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by philipspace.
      Gaston Genser
      Participant

Hi everyone! I like how all of us are apologizing for the thumbnails roughness hahaha
      Here are mine. (Excuse the roughness)
      Now that I see the first page I have a question. Could/should we add the story’s title on the first page?

Gaston Genser
      Participant

Sorry! Missing files! Here they go, from the top:

Kris Burgos
      Participant

These are the latest panels for Horrorbook, I know the jpeg are low res, sorry. Art by @mikedoestheart

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi everyone!
      All your thumbnails are looking great! -Can’t wait to see the ACTUAL pencils, judging by the quality of the thumbnails, they will be AMAZING!!

Here is my second pass of my own thumbnails, adhering to feedback from @philipspace which was to tilt the camera more so the compositions were not parallel with the panel borders. Thanks Philip!

mikedoestheart
      Participant

Hey all – just wanted to put up higher res versions of the layouts for @krisburgos’ Teddies story. Sorry about that!

Bluepen
      Participant

Here are the 2 of 8 thumbnails sketches from the script “RESPECT” by Todd Matthy

Thumbnail > sketch guide lines > Digital Ink

A. A. Rubin

Just a reminder that you can share these posts, if you’re so inclined, to your various platforms by clicking on the “reply number” in the upper left hand corner of the post. The link will take you directly to the post reply, which which not only allow you to share your art, but also to share our community.

Bolu
      Participant

Coming in a little late with these. Had them done earlier, but never got around to posting them. These are the rough breakdowns for my story. I tend to sketch roughly, seeing as I’m the writer and illustrator of this story. I also usually split up 8.5/11 sheets of paper down the middle in order to keep page flips in mind.

John Ashton Golden
      Participant

Thumbnails V1 for “Robby Beyond: Pilot”

philipspace
      Participant

@johnnygoldenart Good to see you hanging in there! I’ve been wondering how you were coming along, and I’m really glad to see you’re still with us! I read your script, I think you’ve got a good ensemble of characters and the story flows well. Keep at it!

John Ashton Golden
        Participant

Thanks @philipspace! I’m impressed that anyone noticed…Haha. Yes, I am way behind schedule because I was busy wrapping another 8 page story believe it or not! The good news is that project is done but my work here is very much cut out for me. I’m going to get it done one way or another.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar