#8PgChallenge – STEP 10 – Colors

8-Page Challenge Forums Creator Challenge – 8-Page Challenge for NYCC 2020 #8PgChallenge – STEP 10 – Colors

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Colors! Vibrant and beautiful colors! We are in the magic moment where colors become…colorful.

Share your colors here.

Read the full post on Comic Book School. Includes colors by Chris Sotomayor
      https://www.comicbookschool.com/how-to-color-comic-art-8-page-comic-story-8pgchallenge-step-10/

Bolu
      Participant

The colors for Battle of the Belly of the Beast. I thought that a flat color scheme would work best with the Saturday Morning Cartoon style and Hard Blacks that I used throughout the narrative.

philipspace
        Participant

Looks great! This is extremely slick!
        My one question pertains to story context; why is the protagonist’s ray-gun leaking(?) on page 6?

Bolu
      Participant

Thank you, @philipspace.
      Stylistically, I was going for sort of a motion blur/trail effect that follows the motion of the ray-gun as he raises it up for the final shot. Almost as if he started charging it before he aimed it. A similar effect happens when he springs into action on page 3.
      That said, if it’s reading like it’s leaking, it may be a sign that I need to revisit that visual!

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

I agree with @Philipspace. The colors pop @aesthetic-derelict!

In that one panel, it does look like the gun is leaking or malfunctioning. Good feedback.

I shared it on Twitter:

Like and retweet. Share to your social networks.

philipspace
      Participant

Understood @Bolu. Overall your visuals are very, very strong. I hadn’t noticed the motion blur on page 3, but it’s not as pronounced there, whereas page 6 it’s in the foreground.
      I think this would be a case of “less is more”. Your protagonists pose is strong, the composition is excellent, you precisely convey that he’s aiming without the need for a motion-blur. I think if you merely edit so that his gun is charging, sans motion line, the panel will have a stronger impact overall.

Bolu
      Participant

Updated the page to focus on the beam charging, no energy tail. Thanks for the feedback, @philipspace and @BuddyScalera!

K S
      Participant
      mikedoestheart
      Participant

Final Inks/Colors for Teddies: A Horrorbook, Chapter 2 (This was decided upon to be a black and white comic)

mikedoestheart
        Participant

IMPORTANT – It’s come to my attention that this submission may be interpreted as erroneously and I’d like to clarify the “Teddies” submission with @krisburgos — please not that this particular 8-page challenge story was INTENDED to be a black & White story from the beginning, a mix of a frank miller/noir aesthetic, per the author. I’d like to submit colors here at a later time in order to see where it could have gone in that direction, but it would solely be an exploratory exercise, outside of the parameters of the 8=page challenge submission.

Apologies if anyone misinterpreted Kris’ submission as being unintentionally incomplete as this was the intention all along. Thanks!

Mike

Evan Scale
      Participant

Colors for ‘Camriddeon and the Leighman Lurkers’, written by @jholder12

Bolu
        Participant

@evanscale,
        I quite like your color palette for this. Very warm colors that lead into the colder, more tense atmosphere of pages 4 & 5. It tells a nice story.

philipspace
      Participant

Feedback/critique requested
      I don’t ordinarily work in color, and prior to this project I have not digitally colored anything before. This has been a learning process for me (and a fun one at that), but input would be appreciated, as I am a novice when it comes to color. Your feedback is appreciated, as I intend to continue working on this particular skill moving forward.

Thank you!

mikedoestheart
        Participant

@philipspace – per your request, I looked over your (wonderful) pages and I really don’t have anything negative to say! you maintained an aesthetic with very bright, saturated colors throughout — something I admit i have issues with at times — and like how you maintained certain color schemes during action shots to tie them in together – for example, the blue background for page 5’s lock pick breaking vs being freed with the actual key panels. You also kept the background detail to a minimum in smaller panels in order to focus on the action occuring in each individual panel, and let other bigger panels shine with detail (something i definitely didn’t quite get right in my submission, pumping in too much detail everywhere).

I was curious about the black bars in the background of pg 6, as it was the only page with that detail — could you shine some light on your thought process with that page? it could be to bring attention to a seminal event in the comic, but without the typography just yet I was wondering. Thanks!

philipspace
          Participant

I was curious about the black bars in the background of pg 6, as it was the only page with that detail — could you shine some light on your thought process with that page? it could be to bring attention to a seminal event in the comic, but without the typography just yet I was wondering.

Thank you for the encouragement! To answer your question, the black bars were basically a design impulse- I felt like there weren’t enough dark lines in the b&w phase to delineate the 4-panel sequence to my liking, so I decided to place the black stripes behind them to tie them together, then repeated for the following medium-shot panel. I figured if they looked wrong I could edit them out later. Heavy black creates an ominous feel, but since I didn’t want to change the tonality of the panel interiors to medieval-noir I steered away from spotting heavy blacks throughout the story.
          Also it felt more “jail break” to me.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by philipspace.
      philipspace
      Participant

That being said, @Bolu I love your pages, you’ve got a great action story here!

@Mikedoestheart
      I’m a little crestfallen that we don’t get to see this in color, but I understand when it comes to time constraints. I would like to see some of the shapes and forms get defined a little by using tone values a-la-B&W Manga, but aside from that I think you’ve created a strong sequence here.

@evanscale
      your colors are really beautiful! Gorgeous work! I look forward to seeing the dialogue stage!

mikedoestheart
        Participant

@philipspace — Thank you for your feedback! And I hear you about the color, believe me. I may not have explained myself correctly, however — this was a creative decision that was made by the author, @krisburgos at the beginning of the challenge rather than a time-constraint decision made recently. He has made the creative decision to keep the entirety of his “Teddies” series in B&W as he did with the first issue of this story(on his website). I had attempted to create depth through the crosshatching and selective shading of areas to reinforce the environment, but I do see spots I’d like to go over again with a few passes to get right.

I’m personally going to color this 8 page sequence as well on my own as I do want to challenge myself and reinforce the milieu of the story – I can post that up on here to get additional feedback as well.

philipspace
          Participant

Ah, I had not known that. Totally understand that creative decision, and if you do get the chance to get the colors in (apart from the primary work) that would be great to see as well.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi everyone! Your colors look absolutely amazing!
      Here are my ‘flats’. -I’m not entirely happy with them, but because I am running behind I just did them to this level to catch up. I’d like to do some color-correction and add some glows and one level of flat shading, maybe one of highlights too. If I can get the lettering done with enough time spare I’ll do that, but if not I’ll just have to go with these. Please let me know what you think.

philipspace
      Participant

@jarrodelvin the one thing I would be mindful of, from the standpoint of print-production, is that colors usually print a bit darker than they appear on screen. You may want to consider adjusting the brightness values a bit to provide contrast, such as the big reveal panels on page 8– a couple of the characters palettes seem to merge into the background/each other at a glance.
      I’m looking at a couple of my own panels and thinking that I’ll adjust them to make them a bit less muddy.
      Otherwise I feel that your flats work pretty well with the cartoon aesthetic of the characters. This Virus Dimension that you’ve created is positively bonkers! What software are you working with for the colors and effects?

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

@philipspace Thanks for your critique. I agree with you 100% and that was probably the main thing I was unhappy with my colors, the muddiness. In the story, the characters actually are merging together with each other and the background, but I will adjust the brightness values so they are a bit more readable. -I don’t think your pages look muddy at all. I think they look very clear and bright! Nice job!
      Haha thank you! I think I’M positively bonkers for putting so much detail into it! -I use Photoshop for every step of the way.

mikedoestheart
      Participant

Added some depth to the ‘Teddies’ story for @KrisBurgos — we haven’t discussed if this is a direction he wants to go with yet, but i think it gives it much needed additional depth :).

@jarrodelvin
      – love the cleanliness of your inks — the colors came together great and the lettering is on point! Really enjoy analyzing your pages.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

@mikedoestheart Thanks for reading and analyzing my pages and your kind appraisal!
      I really like your pages too, the grays and the blacks really work to give it a cool and creepy atmospheric feel!

Evan Scale
      Participant

First, I should say that I struggle with color a lot. Changing my process and approach every time (not that I don’t struggle on other parts of the process). So, I am not sure if everything I say really applies.

@aesthetic-derelict

I like the color selections and the variations (the green fluid nuances). Good gradient on the walls as well. Showing the reflective color but subtle enough so it doesn’t affect the narrative.

@evolver

I like the strong oranges and reds on the backgrounds. I think it fits the lineart style as well. My only thought would be that some of the dark clothing can become really dark after print (as @philipspace said for jarrodelvin’s pages).

@philipspace

Your colors are really good. You managed to maintain a vibrant and saturated panel without overdoing it (something I really have trouble with – I am always afraid to push the colors). I don’t really have any suggestions to make it better, but here are some thoughts.
      There are areas that the background seems a bit bright to me (like page7). I think the characters would pop more if the background was a bit darker (or less saturated compared to the characters). But they are still easily distinguishable as it is, so I am not entirely sure it won’t affect it in a negative way. On another note I would use a different color for page8 panel1, for the door’s banging effects. Maybe a soft desaturated yellow to separate them from the door.

@mikedoestheart

The grayscale additions really help along the readability. I do prefer the strictly black and white look most of the time, but toning seems to always help guide the eye.

@jarrodelvin

Great virus dimension color choices. Looks really good. Not even sure if it needs that much shading to be honest. There’s a lot happening in each page, so it may be easier to they eye the way it is. I agree with the point @philipspace made about the separation of characters and background. You did it on page 3. The characters are really easy to distinguish. For the following pages (that they are closer to the enemy) doing the same thing would really make them pop (and the effect doesn’t need to be as evident as on page 3)

Not sure if any of these help in any way, but I hope they do.

Really glad to be a part of this challenge! Looking forward to everyone’s letters!

• This reply was modified 4 days, 5 hours ago by Evan Scale.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar